Removing a BG

Have a project that went south after much time and effort?

Removing a BG

Postby Chief_USN » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:10 am

Has anybody successfully removed a background that they siliconed into an aquarium? I'm thinking about removing mine and redoing it. I didn't concrete mine in the tank so I'm thinking it should be just a matter of scraping the silicone off once I get the BG removed. Don't get me wrong, I love my background and really proud of it. It's just a real pain in the butt to clean and have had some other issues with it like the filter intakes injesting sand and jamming them up. It's also hard to get in the lower caves to get waste out of them. So now that I have had a chance to build and learn from it, thinking of a re-design. This is on my 75G glass aquarium. Getting a new one is out of the picture as well with funds being tight.

Chad
US Navy Chiefs...Unity, Service, & Navigation to the Fleet since 1893
My 75G Build
Chief_USN

Re: Removing a BG

Postby gminor » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:51 am

Chad,
I've been in the same scenario with one of my first backgrounds. I ultimately found the best solution was to sell the tank with background and put the funds towards a new/used aquarium. You did a great job on your design and you may just find a buyer happy to pay enough for you to buy a used 75 gallon outright.

If you participate in your local aquarium club, that may be the best place to start in your search for a buyer.

Hope this helps. Looking forward to your next success.
Glenn
gminor
Site Admin

Re: Removing a BG

Postby Chief_USN » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:03 pm

I'm still debating trying to remove or just sell like you said Glenn. On another note, a buddy of mine just hooked me up with a bunch of the foam from a project he was doing, so I'm itching to start another BG. Might have to wait though since we are getting transferred back to VA in the summer. Might try and sell it so I don't have to move it...lol.

Chad
US Navy Chiefs...Unity, Service, & Navigation to the Fleet since 1893
My 75G Build
Chief_USN

Return to Do Over's