GE Silicone 1 now has mold inhibitors

Whether you're cutting, shaping, mixing, measuring or brushing on the final coat, let us know what your favorite tools of choice are for building backgrounds!

GE Silicone 1 now has mold inhibitors

Postby gminor » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:41 pm

This may not be news to some, but GE has started adding a mold inhibiting agent in their GE brand Silicone #1. This unfortunately means the product is no longer safe to use for new background projects.

The good news is Marineland makes an aquarium safe silicone you can buy in the same size tubes for your caulking gun. Here's one place to get it: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... catid=3963
Glenn
gminor
Site Admin

Re: GE Silicone 1 now has mold inhibitors

Postby Chief_USN » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:45 am

That stinks. As long as the price doesn't go much higher than that, it should be fine. People should learn how to clean their bathrooms, then that way, mold and mildew inhibitors wouldn't have to be used...lol.

Chad
US Navy Chiefs...Unity, Service, & Navigation to the Fleet since 1893
My 75G Build
Chief_USN

Re: GE Silicone 1 now has mold inhibitors

Postby wryan » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:00 am

gminor wrote:This may not be news to some, but GE has started adding a mold inhibiting agent in their GE brand Silicone #1.

What is the actual source of this information ?

I know that GE claims S1 (for windows. doors, etc.) to be mold and mildew resistant ... but that isn't the same as actually having an inhibitor as one of it's ingredients ...

The reason why I ask is that I have read a number of posts on the 'net, of its use since you made the post above, with no reports of any harmful effects as a result ...

Is it just marketing buzz-speak on GE's part ... or did they really change something ?
wryan

Return to Tools of Choice