Where are all the old backgrounds?

Share those success stories and photos of backgrounds that have withstood the test of time and are still as "rock" solid as they ever were.

Where are all the old backgrounds?

Postby Lardavy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:12 pm

I'd really like to see some posts of older backgrounds that have been around for a few years. Not showing only how well they have held up, but where they have decayed or started to break away. Some great pics would be really appreciated, and any tips on things you may have done differently. Thanks everyone!
Here's my DIY blog. Please help me out with your suggestions and comments. Thanks :)

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=158
Lardavy

Re: Where are all the old backgrounds?

Postby gminor » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:26 am

Lardavy,
This is high on my to-do list for the 90 gallon I built almost 3 years ago. I still own the tank and hope to take some photos with some detail soon. The background was built with Quikrete brand "Quikwall" cement and Quikrete Acrylic Fortifier instead of water. Both were purchased at Home Depot. If there are any signs of wear, I've not noticed any but will give it a better look over soon and share what I find.

Thanks for being the first to post in the new forum!
Glenn
gminor
Site Admin

Postby Lardavy » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:19 pm

Woot for first post :D. Glad to hear your gonna get some pics up. Do any of the rocks at the top go through a wet and dry cycle due to the water level lowering because of evaporation?
Here's my DIY blog. Please help me out with your suggestions and comments. Thanks :)

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=158
Lardavy

Postby gminor » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:21 am

The top-most layer of the 90 gallon background pokes out of the water sometimes, but is never actually dry. I'll make sure the photos include a top view.
Glenn
gminor
Site Admin

Postby gminor » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:09 pm

Glenn
gminor
Site Admin

Return to Time Tested