Trying to set up a nice planted tank econimically

Benefits of keeping live plants in your aquarium range from removing harmful wastes to providing cover for young fish. Share your questions and ideas about how to accomodate live plants in your background build and keep them looking their best!

Trying to set up a nice planted tank econimically

Postby JoeH » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:38 am

Hi guys I have had a planted tank for abt year now but its more been a hodgepodge of cheap cheesy plants. I have a Huge amazon sword that I have cut back some and my baby fish have eaten but I have babies from it in 3 aquariums so its really prolific under the current conditions.

So now I am abt to empty my 75 gal tank and do a nice planted tank. I have to try and get the substrate and water back in it so I can put my fish back in the same day so as not to lose the bacteria from my canister and because I dont want to cram my fish in 5 gal buckets for long. then I can plant the tank slowly over a few days to arrange it. I know it is not the ideal way but I am going to try it.

this will be with CO2 and right now I have borderline med and high lighting.

I run temp at 78 and have a PH of 7.8 which my fish love and my plants seem to like too and would like to use a plant sub substrate that wont alter my PH.

Here are the parts I have ordered so far for my CO2 setup (dunno what I am doing but going by some items I was told I needed)

Regulator: Concoa Dual Stage Gas Regulator Assy Model: 4122331-580

Solenoid: Milwaukee Instruments MA955 Solenoid Valve for Co2 Dosing

Bubble Counter: DICI Professional Aquarium CO2 Bubble Counter w/ Check Valve

I am using Black Beauty medium Blasting material for a ground cover substrate. looks good and plants and fish seem to love it.

now what I don't know:

1: what kind of CO2 reactor I need I was told not to use a diffuser due to wasting a lot of CO2 to use a reactor?

2: What else I need besides the obvious CO2 bottle and tubing?

3: What kind of under substrate to get and use that

a: wont change my PH
b: is fairly inexpensive as I am on a tight budget and have a 75 gal tank to deal with?
c: wont decay and give my tank that river or creek smell (my wife says i need to have it smell fresh and clean lol)
d: maybe some non hobby stuff I can get from local hardware or garden cent?

I guess thats a start for now. will put a couple pics of my earlier attempt til I got some nasty plant eating fish lol

JoeH

Return to Live Plants - Planning and Care