DIY Fish Traps

Do-it-yourself solutions for catching fish when nets can't go where the fish are.

DIY Fish Traps

Postby gminor » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:34 pm

Folks,
Here's some photos of a few diy fish traps I've been using ever since I realized nets don't work too well with quick fish and diy backgrounds with caves. The idea of using plastic bottles to make these traps has been around for a while.

Just cut the top portion of a plastic bottle off, flip it over and insert into the lower portion. Add several small holes for water circulation in case the fish ends up spending the night in the trap. I like to use a soldering iron to make the holes since it's easy and doesn't leave sharp edges as an edged tool might.

Also, I've found it helps to not feed the fish for a day, then put some food in the trap only. Sometimes you don't catch the fish you intended, so just release and rebait the trap. Multiple traps may also help if you're having a tough time catching the fish you want. These traps are inexpensive to make and work pretty well most of the time.

Smaller trap for fry made from a 32 oz drinking water bottle. Plastic screen covers
holes for water circulation.

3 Litre trap made from soda bottle for medium sized fish.

Trap for larger fish. I think the bottle was orignally for dog biscuits. The tube inside
was part of a tall drinking water bottle.
Glenn
gminor
Site Admin

Re: DIY Fish Traps

Postby landolincoln » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:59 am

Those all work pretty well. I've pretty much used every DIY type of fish trap I've seen posted here. Just make sure there are enough holes to allow water circulation if you plan on leaving the trap in the tank over night.
landolincoln

Postby bmblair » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:30 pm

Just used this one. After catching my blue rams by mistake 3 times in a row and watching my blood parrot pitifully try and get his head through the opening through the hole that was too small, I finally caught the cichlid I was trying to get. So yep it works. I didn't know whether to feel bad for the blood parrot trying so hard to get in at the food or laugh at him spinning in circles trying to squeeze through the gap lol.
Brian
bmblair

Postby gminor » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:46 pm

That's funny. I can just imagine. For once, the fish is frustrated.
Glenn
gminor
Site Admin

Postby bmblair » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:11 am

gminor wrote:That's funny. I can just imagine. For once, the fish is frustrated.

oh it was hysterical. I wish I had a video camera handy.
Brian
bmblair

Postby ENFORCER » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:22 pm

These are awesome!
ENFORCER

Return to Fish Traps