I love them

The wonderful world of Tetras, how to choose, how to choose!

I love them

Postby lordadamar » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:11 pm

I can tell you I have had some easy ones, some hard to find, and some hard ones...

I have Rummynose Tetras ( cool looking and easy, you'll find the happier they are the more pronounced there red face gets )

I have Cardinal Tetras, ( Can be very hard to keep alive, very sensitive, But I an give you pointers on how to keep them in hard water, higher PH than normal, just requires patients)
Or you can Opt for the Neon Tetra and have a much easier time and they look very similar. Cardinals Have a full length red stripe and get bigger...

I had Blue Emperor Tetras ( they are very sensitive to water changes and sodium(salt) levels, all tap water has some level of sodium in it, and most medications or aquarium additives have some form of sodium, to much ends badly in a matter of minutes, something which I experienced during a water change)

One Tetra that I have always wanted to get is a " HumpHead Tetra " but one of the things rarely talked about in tetra's is that some a very aggressive, Do your homework know what your getting, Humphead Tetras can be aggressive so they didnt work out for me..

A little rant

Also I will tell you support your small breeders or specialty shop, large chain stores buy from commercial breeders like Segrest Farms theres alot of fish including tetras misclassified on there website and then when they make it to the stores like petsmarts they dont know the wiser...
( I know this from experience Siamese algae eaters are NOT Flying fox's, even know they look similar but they are sold as such, temperaments and habits are different )

Mass produced commercial hatchery fish sometime get classified with made up new color, or are over breed so far that the color your expecting out of your fish will never happen. Over breed = bad genes and ultimately poor color and life span...

I can definitely point to a place to buy quality Tetras, Sometimes they can Wild, F1's, or domestic breed..
In the end we all buy fish for how they look and want them to be healthy...
lordadamar

Re: I love them

Postby lordadamar » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:38 pm

I also keep Freshwater Flounder's with my Tetras and Shrimp, Pretty cool scavengers

http://www.azgardens.com/p-841-freshwater-flounder.aspx
lordadamar

Return to Tetras