75G Build

Share your aquarium background projects, get ideas, advice and feedback from the community!

75G Build

Postby Chief_USN » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:28 pm

Well, after much research and aquiring materials and most importantly time, I have everything I need to get started on my 75G build. I made a hot wire foam cutter using ideas from numerous videos from youtube, most of which from this guy:

with some really good power supply answers:

I still have to find the QuikWall, acrylic, and colors but that will be a later date as soon as I get the foam cut out and a design down that I like. I will update as soon as I get some cut out and looking like something.

Chad
US Navy Chiefs...Unity, Service, & Navigation to the Fleet since 1893
My 75G Build
Chief_USN

Re: 75G Build

Postby Chief_USN » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:24 pm

OK so I finally got started on my build. Had to quit for the day so I can take my wife out to dinner but here are some pics of what I got so far.

This is the before picture

This is the area I will be working on. I layed out some lines representing the inside dimensions of my tank so I know where I can set stuff.

This is my foam cutter

What I got so far.

This is a lot tougher than it looks to come up with a layout. I'm sure it will change as I go along. Any feedback or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Chad
My 75G Build
Chief_USN

Postby gminor » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:10 am

Chad,
It looks like you're background is off to a good start and you have a great work area set up. Outlining the footprint for the tank to provide build area guidlines is a great idea too.

I built a few backgrouds using a fillet knive and hacksaw blade as cutting tools before getting around to building a hotwire table. Now, I couldn't image building a background without one. Just curious what prompted you to find the info and build your own hotwire table?
Glenn
gminor
Site Admin

Postby Chief_USN » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:54 am

Honestly I can't remember exactly what I was researching when I came across your site. I think it was filter related and your DIY overflow came up. I started reading and watching youtube videos and somewhere reading/watching about foam I saw hot wire foam cutter. So basically, one thing lead to another and here I am. Of course the original thing I was researching isn't an option anymore. I think it was DIY Sump/Wet/Dry filters and I can't even remember why I was researching that...lol.

Chad
My 75G Build
Chief_USN

Postby Chief_USN » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:06 pm

Well after much consideration and thought process, I think I finally got a system down and a good looking design going. Here are a couple of pics from what I did today. Took me about 3 hours and got many more to go I'm sure. I used a torch to ease the edges and to give them the worn look. I think it's turning out good so far.

ImageImage

The square column is one of the filter intake columns. I decided to leave this one since I already had foam cut out to match it. I will just have to cut out and build around it. My second filter column will be toward the right side of the tank/pic. I think it will be much easier to build it up with just notching out a 2" x1-1/2" tunnel in each layer as I build up. You can see the first notch in the second layer on the right side. Only other thing I need to measure and plan for is the heater which will be circulated by a powerhead. Just got to figure out where. I still have about a foot to work with on the right side of the tank.

Chad
My 75G Build
Chief_USN

Postby gminor » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:36 pm

Looking great so far. Blow torch or hobby heat gun can do a nice job of adding the effect of natural erosion.
Glenn
gminor
Site Admin

Postby Chief_USN » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:09 am

Well, change 5 (I think). I'm really liking how it is looking now and think I'm going to stick with this and build from here. I like it so much I started siliconing some of the pieces together to make it more stable to work and build on. I took out the column for the filter that was pictured in the previous pics and decided to go with the column cut into each layer instead of building around that ugly square thing. Let me know what you think.

Chad
My 75G Build
Chief_USN

Postby Chief_USN » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:05 pm

Well got a little bit more done on my build. My son says it looks like something from the Flintstones... :lol:

I started the heater column and like how it's coming along. I made the intake the same size as the filters but made it progressively get bigger to allow more water volume around it. My thinking is it will warm the water as it circulates around it. I just hope I'm right. Here are a couple of more pics of what I got done in the last 4 or so hours. I siliconed some of the layers together and can't do any more until they are cured.

These two are how it looks when they are all put together

This is a back shot of the heater column intake

Siliconing the pieces together...you got to find what you can to apply weight to the layers to make for a good bond.

Here is a close up of the heater intake

I will let them cure tonight and do some more tomorrow before our New Years party. Happy New Year everyone and be safe out there.

Chad
My 75G Build
Chief_USN

Postby gminor » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:02 am

It's going to be awesome when it's done. Thanks for sharing all the great photos!
Glenn
gminor
Site Admin

Postby Chief_USN » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:14 pm

Well, got a little bit more done but have come to a cross roads. I really like how it is looking so far but feel if I keep going up with the layers it won't look right. I think I might need some caves up top as well to keep with the flow. What do you think?

In this pic I have some foam pieces representing how many more layers I need to go before I am at my required height.

I think if I fill in the rest with just solid layers (like the 4 top layers now) it won't look right.
My 75G Build
Chief_USN

Next

Return to Aquarium Backgrounds