29gal. background... First attempt

Share your aquarium background projects, get ideas, advice and feedback from the community!

29gal. background... First attempt

Postby Pedrowitus » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:57 pm

IMG_4010.jpg

I love working with these materials to create my background. This is the first tank I have had in 40 years. I have a feeling another one or two may follow once this one is up and running. This is the current status of my foam/cement background. I hope to start the rinse process within a week. My goal is to have it functioning and ready for fish around Christmas time.
Pedrowitus

Re: 29gal. background... First attempt

Postby gminor » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:34 pm

The first think that struck me is how natural your rock textures look. It also looks like you maybe mixed a bit of charcoal in with the brown to further create a natural look? Awesome job Pedro. Thanks for sharing!
Glenn
gminor
Site Admin

Postby Pedrowitus » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:58 pm

Background is done. next step is to secure it in the tank. Love the way it is turning out. Hope it does what it is supposed to when I start the cycling process.
image.jpeg
Pedrowitus

Postby gminor » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:02 am

Thanks for the photo! Just curious if you used some type of sealer over the cement and if you made the branch. Your background really looks great.
Glenn
gminor
Site Admin

Postby Pedrowitus » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:22 am

Thanks,
I ended up doing this a little differently than most others. I started with a quickcrete type of mix for the cement coating but discovered another product that was so much easier to work with. The concrete crack sealer that comes in a bottle and is a premixed liquid can be squeezed onto the foam and spread with a paint brush. I added dyes during the spread process to get some color into it.
Once cured I submerged a test piece in water for a couple of days. I was disappointed to find that the surface felt gritty and it seemed that it was breaking down.... Not what I was expecting. So to salvage the rocks I pulled the plants off and sprayed the entire piece with polyeurthane. (I had read where others have used it with much success so I figured it was safe)
After testing another piece I was confident that it was going to hold up. I'm on he third tank of water for the cycling process and already I'm not getting any cloudiness after a few days. The first tank got very cloudy.

Yes, I made the tree trunk... Also out of foam. I painted it with acrylic paints prior to the polyeurthane.
I added aeration and lights prior to the last water change just to try to work out what I want.
Pedrowitus

Postby Pedrowitus » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:41 am

From the previous fill
Attachments
image.jpeg
Pedrowitus

Postby Pedrowitus » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:42 am

Added some marine life while I go through the cycling process.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Pedrowitus

Postby gminor » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:48 pm

You have some really rich color in your background. Probably for most folks, including myself, waiting the 30 days for the mortar to fully cure and PH to drop to a safe level for fish is the toughest but most important part of building a successful background. In the bigger picture though, it's really not that long. I enjoyed my 90 gallon "rock ledges" background with all kinds of fish for years before recently selling it to make room for a new project. Thanks for the updated photos!
Glenn
gminor
Site Admin

Postby Pedrowitus » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:19 pm

I am ready for fish. This is the final fill before I add fish. I cycled the tank about 4 times and tested the water myself and took a sample to the pet store down the street. PH was just a tad low so I adjusted and now I can add fish. I will get a few inexpensive fish at first just to make sure they survive well before going for anything more substantial.
Attachments
IMG_5232.jpg
Pedrowitus

Postby gminor » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:27 pm

sounds like you're doing everything right. Your tank looks great too.
Glenn
gminor
Site Admin

Next

Return to Aquarium Backgrounds