putting in a background with a tank already set up?

Ask questions about materials and techniques or share a new solution you've discovered.

putting in a background with a tank already set up?

Postby Shirley87 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:12 am

Hello first id like to say you guys have an amazing page! :)
I am new to this and have a question
I would love to build a back ground for my tank and im pretty confidant I can do it but it is already set up, its a 65 gallon tank we have had it about 2 weeks and have like 15 cichlids. If I build it would i be able to put it in the tank thats already filled and currently has fish in it? Im worried something might go wrong and they all die.
Thanks!
Shirley87

Re: putting in a background with a tank already set up?

Postby gminor » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:20 pm

Shirley,
Welcome to the forums! That's a great question. Unfortunately, adding a background to an established aquarium would spike the PH and likely end any livestock. If it will be your first background, a second tank might not be a bad idea so you can take your time and not worry about disturbing your existing aquarium.

I'm a fan of using second-hand tanks (leak tested) when I'm about to try a new project since I'm not sure how the project will go and new tanks as we all know aren't cheap.

Hope this helps!
Glenn
gminor
Site Admin

Postby Shirley87 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:01 pm

this is what i figured , darn. ok well second question. the cement mix, i search both home dept and lowes for the kind in the tutorial and was unable to find it, "in stock" at the store here in so cal where i live, does it need to be a specific type ? cause i know cement can have harmful stuff in it, I would hate to poison my fish over a decoration.
thanks!
Shirley87

Postby gminor » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:42 pm

You might make a note of the brand/type of cement they do carry in your area and see if you can find any supporting info online of other folks using it successfully in their aquarium. If you can post the info here, I can help you do the online research.
Glenn
gminor
Site Admin

Return to Background Build Questions